Health Care Assistant for General Practice surgery ( 20 - 30 hours)
Job opportunities are rare at Rockwell and Wrose Practice . We are seeking an enthusiastic HCA with aptitude and willingness to join our practice nurse team.
The HCA will support the practice nursing team in the delivery of nursing services, working as part of the practice multidisciplinary team, delivering care within their scope of practice to the entitled patient population. The HCA will deliver and assist clinical staff in the provision of treatment, preventative care, health promotion and patient education.Main duties of the job
THe Health Care assistant will undertake a wide range of skills including; Phlebotomy, wound care, Blood pressure checks, ECG testing, provide lifestyle and self care advice ( including obesity , smoking etc) , urine dips, long term conditions assessments, frailty reviews etc
Further more there may be occasion to carry out other tasks or embark on extensive training in order to undertake new responsibilities due to the shifting nature of secondary care services into primary care.
This will be dependant upon factors such as GP contractual requirements, workload and staffing levels
Stock Control and Room management - ensuring sufficient medical supplies are readily available.
Theatre assistant and chaperone for minor surgery, smears and IUCD contraceptive devices
General AdminstrationAbout us
ROCKWELL and WROSE practice is a busy doctors surgery with 6 GPs, 2 Advanced Nurse practitioners, 5 practice nurses and 2 health care assistants. As the covid pandemic measure reduce we are resuming our normal activities and have a great deal of backlog to clear.
We are a happy and stable practice and need someone with commitment , dedication and attention to detail to ensure we continue to enhance our skills and provide care of the highest calibre.
We currently have good CQC rating and provide weekly nurse meetings and training +++Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Phlebotomy. Venepuncture as instructed by Doctor or Senior Nurse. Complete necessary path lab request forms and consign to path lab using ICE softward. Input data on practice based computer system (PCS). Safe waste disposal of sharps etc
- Wound Care. Wound swabs as instructed by Doctor or Senior Nurse. Apply dressings as instructed by doctor of Senior Nurse. Ensure safe disposal of waste as per practice protocol
- Blood pressure checks. Perform blood pressure monitoring as directed by practice protocol, or under instruction of doctor or senior nurse
- ECG testing Perform blood pressure monitoring as directed by practice protocol, or under instruction of doctor or senior nurse.
- Smoking Cessation information and advice as per NHS Bradford and Airedale protocol
- Spirometry testing (*accreditation required) Desired or willingness to undertake accredited training for both Adult and Child)
- Perform blood pressure monitoring as directed by practice protocol, or under instruction of doctor or senior nurse (
- 24 Hour BP monitoring Perform blood pressure monitoring as directed by practice protocol, or under instruction of doctor or senior nurse
- Arrange Home loan BP administration as per protocol
- Urine checks (dips, pregnancy testing, etc)
- New Patient Health Checks and Admin. * currently under review since Covid restrictions. Input all data (information) onto practice computer system using "health status prompts" template. Record all significant chronic diseases (ie diabetes/coronary heart disease, respiratory disease) and arrange follow up by doctor or senior nurse in appropriate practice pathway (as necessary)
- Carers. Identify carers' (record information onto computer system). Signpost carers on to the Carer Link Worker for Bradford CCG
- Falls. Perform Falls assessment for patients who are at risk of falls (Cryer score and falls assessment) and record information on practice computer system. Signpost patients to doctor or senior nurse as appropriate.
- Long Term Condition reviews Perform blood pressure monitoring as directed by practice protocol, or under instruction of doctor or senior nurse
- Frailty/Elderly assessment reviews. * Protocol to be agreed. However, it is envisaged that routine health screens, patient questionnaires, practice "flu/covid/pneumococcal immunisation" programme, liaise with other nurses within the team to raise awareness of health promotion (ie reduce smoking etc)
- Contribute to practice targets. To play proactive role in gathering clinical data either planned or opportunistically for QOF ( quality and outcomes framework) and PCN Investment and improvement framework as well as local enhanced service markers
- Contribute to practice achievement of the CQC standards
- Stock Control and Room Management. Order path lab and cytology stock and medical supplies as required. Order stock for doctors and nurses room (gloves, cotton wool, urine testing kits, plasters, sharps bins etc) and ensure rooms are ready for use at all times. To include monthly Emergency Drug Bag monitoring/replacement of stock
- IT , Keyboard skills & Computer skills. Possess working knowledge of practice computer system and simple trouble shooting techniques. Report of problems to IT helpdesk. Be Knowledgeable of Information Governance and Data Quality Principles (including Data protection act, Freedom of Information and Access to health Records. Must check email inbox daily. Manage tasks within System one daily and access practice intranet - staff pages daily.
- DMARD monitoring desirable -reporting and undertake blood testing as per practice guidelines
- Prediabetes monitoring
- Theatre Assistant & chaperone for minor surgery and Implanon and IUCD insertions
- Administration. Patient recall invitation letters as required.
- Patient information leaflets distribution. Issue leaflets to provide back up information regarding health promotion and lifestyle as necessary.
- Attend practice meetings and undertake training as necessitates the position.
- Incidents & Risk management. Report all incidents or equipment faults to Practice Manager or Senior nurse. At all times adhere to company policies to ensure risk kept to minimum.
- Incidentals. Tea and coffee duties as required.
- Attend and contribute to all Practice meetings and any training events that support your role
- Health care qualification ( level 3 or 4 )or working towards
- Care Certificate
- Phlebotomy qualification
- Wound care management
- Ear Syringing qualification
- Level 3 NVQ
- Spirometry qualification ( ARTP) adult or child
- Experience of working with the general public
- Experience of working within a health care setting
- Some safeguarding training awareness
clinical knowledge and skillsEssential
- Experience of working in primary care ( GP surgery or district nursing team)
- Minimum of two covid vaccinations
- Hep B status cleared
- Enhanced DBS status essential*will be undertaken if successful
- Willingness to have annual influenza vaccination
- ability to provide quality care
- evidence of training and updated skills
- care certificate
- good interpersonal skills
- accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent record keeping and clinical note keeping
- Good IT skills
- Polite and clear manner
- Overall caring nature.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
- competent on outlook and office
- working knowledge of GDPR regulations
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.Employer detailsEmployer name
The Rockwell And Wrose PracticeAddress
Rockwell Medical Centre
2 Summerfield Road,Thorpe Edge
BD10 8DPEmployer's website
https://rockwellandwrosepractice.nhs.uk/ (Opens in a new tab)