What will the apprentice be doing?
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Plan, organise and manage the activities associated with the surveying of projects allocated to you.
- Assist and understand the Conditions of Contract and keep the Project Manager/Engineer advised of the obligations.
- Assist with safe receipt and filing of all Contract Documents, Bonds, Warranties, Parent Company Guarantees, etc.
- Assist with drafting and ensuring issue of all sub-contract orders and take responsibility for ensuring that all commercial and contractual aspects are satisfactorily considered, implemented and maintained for duration of sub-contract whilst working closely with the Supply Chain.
- Assist with providing detailed financial information on all financial aspects of a contract in liaison with the following: Project Surveyor, Project Manager/Engineers, Site Managers, Installation Supervisor/Foremen, Buying, Accounts and Supply Chain departments.
- Assist with preparation and submission, in liaison with Project Team, regular applications/invoices for works carried out and ensure payments are received in accordance with the contract requirements and dates.
- Assist with the review all information to prepare, in liaison with other members of staff, sub-contractor payments and advise the Accounts Department of correct payment dates.
- Assist with the measure and value/cost variations including preliminaries, overheads, non-productive/disruptive elements, profit, etc., and ensure that they are submitted and agreed satisfactorily to achieve proper remuneration and maintenance of profits.
- Attend monthly contract/project review meetings where required, ensure that minutes of said meetings are issued promptly and to review these on a monthly basis with the Project Surveyor/Lead Surveyor/Commercial Director.
- Assist monthly, in conjunction with the Project Surveyor and Project Manager/Engineer, the Contract performance in progress and value/cost terms and reconcile financial performance including projections for Contract completion.
- Assist in production of monthly project financial reviews/reports from above with the Project Surveyor and issue to the Lead Surveyor/Commercial Director for review.
- Ensure that direct charges to clients, sub-contractors and suppliers are properly submitted and that contra charges received from them are diligently processed.
- Prepare, in liaison with the Project Surveyor, Lead Surveyor and Commercial Director, claims for prolongation, delay & disruption and/or loss and expense. Ensure that the Company is not exposed to risk via claims received from sub-contractors or suppliers.
- Liaise regularly with the client's project management team/surveying staff.
- Assist with preparation and negotiation with the client and/or sub-contractors of Final Accounts which should include measured work, direct works, preliminaries and contra charges. Recommend to the Commercial Director any proposed agreements/settlements and obtain final approval as necessary.
- Ensure Quality Assurance procedures are conformed to at all times and all paperwork is correctly completed and issued.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- HNC in Construction
- Day release model
- Campus Delivery - Southwark (SE1)
The opportunity to enrol on the level 6 Quantity Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Patience Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent 5 GCSE's including Maths and English (Grade C/4 or above) Essential
A Level or equivalent A Level (Grade DD or equivalent) Essential