Initially you will be on a guided learning path to gain exposure to the technologies we use, especially around Microsoft's cloud stack (Azure, Office 365). Once completed you will join the development team and contribute to successful projects.
As a junior member of the Development team you will be involved in providing technical solutions for our software projects and our 3rd party customers products under the supervision of a more experienced developer. You will work directly with the Technical Lead and Project Mangers to develop features and resolve bugs to ensure the continued success of these projects.
In addition to project work, Blacklight Software will sponsor your continued learning on the Software Developer Apprenticeship Level 4.
Reports to: Technical Lead
- To code, in a manner consistent with published coding standards, as part of a team to ensure all objectives are delivered to a high standard of quality and accuracy.
- To work closely with other members of the team by understanding your own contribution to the team's goals, taking ownership of any potential problems to ensure they are resolved.
- To design technically and document aspects of the software project, including but not limited to database, business rules and presentation. Documentation must be produced to a high level of accuracy, be unambiguous, and kept up to date.
- To identify and highlight where productivity gains can be achieved either through new techniques or adoption of programming tools. If appropriate design, develop and implement programming tools for internal use.
- To practice test driven development.
- To help the project managers identify and classify programming defects and then develop a solution for these defects that satisfies the specification.
- To deploy updates onto target infrastructure, performing any necessary system tests and ensuring accuracy of deployment, either remotely or on a customer's site.
- To be aware of current trends and new technologies within the industry and keep skills up to date through self-study and research.
- To perform other functions as required by line manager or Blacklight Software senior management.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- You will be an enthusiastic software developer with experience working within the .NET ecosystem during your L4 apprentice program.
- You will be passionate about writing software and will be familiar with techniques used to delivering high quality, tested, scalable and maintainable code.
- You will be adaptable. As a software agency we get requests to do weird and wonderful things with weird and wonderful technologies. This should excite you.
- You will have an appetite to learn and will share your findings. Working at Blacklight provides a lot of variety. Combined with regular knowledge sharing sessions, this is a great opportunity to learn.
- Agile Methodologies
- Office 365
- Level 3 Software apprenticeship, or
- A Level in a STEM subject (within the Technology and Maths fields only) and successful completion of our Aptitude Test, or
- BTEC Diploma in IT and successful completion of our Aptitude Test, or
- A minimum of 12 months of experience within the last 24 months or 18 months in the last 36 months in an IT role.
Specific roles that are acceptable are:
- IT Support roles e.g. Help Desk, First line
- Software testing or any work that utilises basic coding
- Any other technical job that uses IT equipment or software
- Any data analytics or reporting related role
You may also have a combination of qualifications and experience which demonstrate the minimum foundation needed for the programme. In this instance you could still be considered for the programme. The learners would still be required to successfully pass the Aptitude Test at first attempt.
If you hold international equivalents of the above qualifications, at the time of your application you must be able to provide an official document that states how your international qualifications compare to the UK qualifications.
Find out more here:
92% of QA Apprentices secure permanent employment after finishing their apprenticeship.Additionally there may be opportunities to undertake further apprenticeship training as many of our programs offer on-going development tracks.Things to consider
Onboarding and Initial Training -3 months (stage1):
Further Training -3 months (stage 2):
Gaining Experience -12 months (stage 3):
Benefits of working at Blacklight Software:
- Two development teams, project and support
- Agile approach, Scrum for projects, Kanban for support
- Relaxed environment
- Regular SUKS (stand up knowledge share) sessions encouraged
- Flexible working hours
- Arcade machine
- Training available material for MS certifications
QA's apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.