What will the apprentice be doing?
Typical duties as follows:-
· Producing lighting calculations using approved software
· Using specialist software to calculate cable sizes for LV distribution in buildings
· Fire alarm design
· Design of LV infrastructure inc. LV schematics
· Design of Electrical Cable Containment in buildings inc. coordination with other services
· Production of design drawings using Building Information Management (BIM) software
The Degree Apprentice Engineer will display proficient interpersonal skills to be able to liaise both internally as part of a multi-disciplinary team and externally to external stakeholders including:-
· Manufacturers & suppliers
· External designers
· Manage key projects issues as directed by your Line Manager
· Maintain all revisions of project drawings.
· Providing technical input to projects
· Update and maintain design records for future reference purposes.
· Prepare engineering documents for customer submittal.
· Assist in managing the projects change control process.
· Revise and update models/drawings as required.
· Assist in team design reviews in order to evaluate design concepts and make recommendations to resolve problems.
· Work with other teams to obtain information for drawings.
· Work with project teams to execute projects on time and on budget.
· Read and understand 2D and 3D drawings.
· Comply with company design, safety, quality, environmental compliance and procedural standards.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Level Embedded Electronic Systems Development Engineer standard.
The degree award is BEng Electrical & Electronic Engineering.
The apprentice will attend Sheffield Hallam University one day per week.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
As part of a small team in Sheffield, the candidate can expect to gain experience in the industry and progress as they take on additional responsibility. Depending in the candidate, they can expect to progress to senior engineer and be prepared to be ready for IEng registration (or CEng with additional educational background) within 5 years.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Number skills, Initiative
A Level or equivalent Maths, Science or Engineering (Grade C) Essential
Things to consider
Benefits include: • Funded team socials and events • Full support and guidance towards professional accreditation. • Major projects throughout the UK • Employee Assistance Plan • Mental Health Wellbeing app