What will the apprentice be doing?
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Through different placement rotations and secondments, you'll get exposure to different products, working in our concrete, aggregate, asphalt or building products manufacturing sites.
- You willbe provided with support to be able to take on the responsibility of the basic maintenance and inspections on site, learn to operate mobileplant, undertake site-based duties (including production process and keeping the site clean and maintained).
- Whilst you're learning on the job, you'll attend our Core Skills Development Programme designedtoexpand your business knowledge, strengthen coreskills and offernetworking opportunities with other graduates, higher apprenticesand key stakeholdersacross the Tarmac business in order tosuccessfully transition into your destination role.
- You'llsupport Site Managers, Maintenance Managers and Operations Managers in the running of their teams andfunctions.
- Life on site will involve working both inside and outside, and your safety and health is our number one priority. Full protective clothing and equipment is provided.
The qualification gained at the end of the apprenticeship is the Level 5 Foundation Degree Mineral Products Technician apprenticeship standard.
Successful candidates will complete apprenticeship learning, attending in person at University of Derby. This will be completed in block release periods, rather than one day a week.
Training is completed at the Cente for Mineral Products, which is based at the Enterprise Centre in Derby. This includes face to face training sessions and high quality facilities enable experienced staff to deliver effective workshops.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The apprenticeship prepares individuals for supervisory roles, and later for more senior management and leadership positions.
Following the successful completion of the apprenticeship learning and end point assessment, individuals will move into a Quarry Supervisor or Assistant Quarry Manager substantive post.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Team working, Initiative, Resilience, Growth Mindset, Practical Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent Five Subjects including Maths, English (Grade 4 or above (C or above)) Essential
A Level or equivalent x2 Subjects - Any (Grade C or above) Essential Things to consider
This is a hands on role, which will see the successful candidate 1. Working both in and outside, on our quarry site and in our offices 2. We want to build the confidence to allow you to challenge, and think of new ways of working, to help our teams improve the effectiveness of our sites. Communication skills are important.